Friday, September 23rd, 2011 - Posted in Uncategorized
If you’re learning to dace the Tango, there are certain steps which must be followed. If they are not followed, one can expect a less than desirable dance partner. Whether you’re the notary or the signee, there are 5 basic steps to notarization that you can expect so your notarial experience is flawless:
1. Personal appearance-You will be expected to stand in person in front of the notary. Webcams, Face Time ad Skype are not good substitutes.
2. Proper Identification-While each state varies, proper identification is a must. It is the duty of the notary to make sure the signer is aware of what they are signing and they are involved in the transaction.
3. Scan the document-It is not the notary’s job to read the entire document, however, they will scan the document, looking for blank lines or spaces where information could be added after the notarization. If your notary reads the document, it’s for your protection, not because they are nosy.
4. Keep a journal record-This provides evidence for the notary of each transaction, should legal questions arise.
5. Complete the notarial certificate-This is to protect the public and protect the reputation on the notary.
For a video demonstration of the 5 Steps to Notarization, go to www.nationalnotary.org.